Otorongo Expeditions is the only Iquitos based outfitter that can give you an experienced sport fishing guide, boats, live bait and equipment rental. OtoEx is owned and operated by professional sports fisherman and outdoorsman, Anthony Giardenelli, and offers the only complete guide service for sport fishing in all of the lowland Peruvian Amazon.
Creativity is important here if you want to catch fish year round. The best time for easy access to good sport fishing is during low water season with last from late June to early December. Amazon river levels.
Sport fishing daytrips from the lodge
The most comfortable and common to venture out for some sport fishing is by spending each night in our lodge and heading out early morning 4:30am to travel to a nearby community and sport fishing reserve, Lake Ayzana. The village accesses the multi-hectare lake where canoes are ready to take us out and get the best of the morning bite.
You may decide stay at the lake for lunch and then return to the lodge at sunset for dinner. Or if you prefer, we can head back to the lodge for lunch and then cat-fishing on mainstream Amazon River in the afternoon until dinner.
Pamacari fishing safari
Catch a nap while you fish from the local style Pamacari boat. During the day we sport fish the blackwater lakes for peacock bass that make this part of the Amazon famous. Then in the evening we fish the rivers for catfish.
Begin planning your Amazon sport fishing adventure with Otorongo Expeditions.Reservations
Fishing gear provided by OtoEx
For river fishing catfish
- Large baitcasting reel or open face reel
- 50-100lb test line and gimble
- Mosquito nets for sleeping
- Terminal tackle circle hooks
- Weights, swivels and live bait
- Expert guides and motorized boat
Sport fishing peacock bass, brycon, pacu
- Open face or baitcasting reel
- 12-30lb test line
- Small tackle box with five lures such as rattle traps, mepps, rapala floating jointed minnow, spoons, buzz baits or torpedoes.
We recommend that you bring your own set of lures
- Rattle traps bright mirror finish, white, yellow, gold 1 oz or more
- Mepps aglia long #4 #5 tiger stripe spoon white or orange tail
- Musky killers, mepps maribou
- Floating jointed rapala gold, white
- Bright Crank baits for trolling
Price quote of rentals available upon request
Cocha Ayzana or Lake Ayzana, is one of many oxbow lakes that we sport fish in. Five years ago, we got together with the villagers and convinced them to stop netting and start conserving for their food and for sport fishing. The enormous lake can support fishing with hooks for food, but it cannot stay in its natural state if they allow netting to continue.
In the beginning it was difficult to convince them because everyone likes fast results, but now after several years the lake is back in fine form and you need to hope the big arapaima doesn’t decide he likes your lure or you may not get it back.